Fostering and adoption bridges the gap between lost and found. K9 Enrichment Initiative (KEI) can insure each life we take in is safe but we need fosters and adopters in order to truly save each life. Our mission extends beyond the intake and focuses on building an open partnership with each family that opens their doors to a life we share. Our organization is 100% foster-based which means we rely on every single foster home to help us support the lives we secure. Our adopters provide the flow of lives from foster to home.
The cycle is simple:
- KEI intakes a new life in need via shelter, homeless, owner surrender, etc.
- A foster home offers to dedicate their support and care to temporarily housing the new intake.
- Adopter connects via the various lines of exposure KEI sends out in social media, website, online adoptable sites, partner vendors, etc.
- Our rescue is home.
What is Fostering?
You are dedicating your heart and home to a KEI rescue in need for a temporary amount of time. That length of time can be a couple weeks to a year or more depending on the life you decide to foster. Every rescue is unique and comes with their own speed by which they connect with their forever home. You are agreeing to the span in which the adoptable is available and until they secure their adoption home. KEI retains ownership of the dog and manages all medical/adoption/rescue tasks. We only ask that our fosters provide daily care, guidance to become better than when they arrived, transportation to vet/events/outings and the trust that you will protect each life you take in as if they were your own. A foster will fill out an application which begins the process inclusive to a background check, telephone interview, vet references, personal references as well as a home visit. KEI provides:
- Medical care inclusive to preventative support (Heartworm/Flea/tick, vaccinations as needed)
- Food and resources such as collar, leash, Freedom harness, rescue tag, crate, bowls, etc.
- Support numbers for KEI foster team as well as main contact for questions, queries and concerns.
- Input and partnership in determining the best adoptive family when applications are submitted.
What is Adopting:
Adoptive families are looking to make one of our adoptables their own on a permanent basis whereas fostering is a temporary situation. Adoptive homes submit an application just as a foster family does which includes all the same checks and balances. Our adoption families receive a customized foster to adopt process dependent upon each situation as our rescues’ needs vary and our goal exists beyond adoption to partner in confirming each adoption is the right path for all. Adopters receive a rescue that:
- Has been seen by our vet partner.
- Up-to-date on age-appropriate vaccinations
- Microchipped to KEI
- Vet records
- Foster-based background on each life and their likes/diskes, behavioral dips and valleys.
READY TO MOVE ONTO the application process? We are excited to make your acquaintance and look forward to partnering to complete your family with the potential of a life we have saved.
NOT READY? Please don’t feel the need to rush into a decision you are not ready for. Connect and let us partner to make this process smoother. Feel free to come out to an event and spend some time with our adoptables. Spend some time getting to know us! After awhile, the timing will be right and you will know just the right moment.